Yesterday I had a good talk with a friend of mine - I'll call him Fred- about this blog and whether or not it is interesting.
Fred said it's time for me to stop being so shallow and start to dig a little deeper. Apparently all my pithy little safe stories aren't doing much for him. He wants drama, he wants action, where's the reality in this pseudo show of mine? Where's the storyline? How does it end?
Other questions from Fred:
- Are you ever going to lose any weight, or just keep talking about it?
- Why do you only talk about the good things and not the bad things?
- Why should we care about a middle aged mom and her exercise stories?
So I said "Dude, you are not my target market."
And Fred said "Bullshit." Except he didn't really say that. But that's what he meant.
And then I gave him some answers:
- Maybe it's not about losing the weight, maybe it's about my journey through middle age and getting healthy and staying healthy for the long haul.
- Maybe if I slip into the darkness and the sadness I won't come out again.
- I have no idea why people care about this blog or why they should. Can't it just be a little hobby?
- My life is not a reality show and although it might be interesting for some people to see me unravel online, I don't think it is necessarily...necessary.
Fred said I sounded defensive. And he didn't mean to hurt my feelings. So I made a joke then, like I always do, when I don't feel like crying in front of friends, even if it is just online, which is always.
So, dear readers, what do you think? Give me some better answers.