My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, please visit:

http://www.chubbymommyrunningclub.com/

and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

100 Push Ups: the arm kind, not the bra kind


Push ups are hard. I was thinking about them today, and dared myself to do some, mostly out of curiosity. Could I still do one?

I check on my cartwheels every once in a while, so I should check in on my push up status too, right? Strong arms = better cartwheels. These skills go hand in hand, so to speak.

I hate push ups, but it's not their fault. Push ups don't lie. Your arms are either strong, or they're not. Mine are not.

Once, after I finished one of those agonizing "Adventure" Bootcamps, I could do 15 good push ups in a row. This morning, I would have guessed I could do 6, maybe 7.

Turns out I can only do 3, and I'm sort of fudging that number even, just to save face.

Sigh.

I am a weakling, for sure.

I was on Twitter this morning, lamenting my lack of arm strength, when a follower sent me this link for 100 push ups http://hundredpushups.com/ This cute blond chick, in a white unitard, claims I can do 100 push ups after 6 weeks of minimal work.

I'd never wear a white unitard, even if I was blond. White just seems so...see-through. Where are you supposed to hide the jiggles in a white unitard, anyway? There's a good reason chubby mommy fitness ladies wear black, and its name is "too much information."

One hundred push ups in a row? Sounds like a pipe dream, but I think I'll try it. The only thing I've got to lose is flab. Plus, maybe I'll gain strength, and save face next time I dare myself to do a push up.

Anyone else want to join me? White unitards optional. Er, I mean, you don't have to wear a unitard, you can just wear regular clothes.

You can do push ups while you're naked, of course, but I'd rather not hear about it.

7 comments:

It's me said...

Not to brag, but I can do a good 25 strong pushups. And, get this... 2 chinups!! Yup, a girl doing chinups of all things.

ok, i'm bragging, but there's a point. The point is:

The key to doing pushups is DOING PUSHUPS. No other lifting etc will get you ready. You just have to do them. Do max rep, take a break, do max rep, repeat. For example, in the chest/shoulder/tri workout I'm doing now, we do something like 8 separate pushup exercises, max rep on each, so somewhere between 80 and 140 pushups. (numbers don't add up. It's impossible for me to do more than say 5 clapping pushups and then I have to use my knees)

So it's definitely doable. And oooooh!!! The arms you'll have when it's over. That's what makes it worthwhile. :)

juliejulie said...

Wow! You can actually do the clapping kind of push ups and chin ups? You should be braggin', girl!

I'm impressed. I will be reading your blog now for pointers.

dkgoodman said...

Anything with "tard" in it just sounds bad. :)

Love your avatar, 'lark.

It's me said...

As you saw from my blog, no tips there!

But I will say (and I think I posted this quite some time ago here) that we're doing the P90x program and I've lost over 30 lbs and gone from el chubbo to old-woman-with-strong-arms. :)

And thanks DK. I miss meadowlarks. They don't have them here. Or at least not in suburbia where I'm at. :(

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Bluetooth blocker gives you bad breath and toe fungus.