My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, please visit:

http://www.chubbymommyrunningclub.com/

and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

No White Food

I'm trying a food experiment. I'm not calling it a diet, because I've had enough diets, and with two teenage girls at home, I try to keep any of my food and self-esteem issues to myself.

I get annoyed when women dive into their diet and body image woes with impressionable young girls around who listen to every word, and pick up clues about which parts of their bodies they should hate. I've never heard my husband and his friends say "Oh my god! I am so fat and disgusting, I hate my legs, I can't even fit into my fat jeans this week and I just hate myself!" at least not in front of their young teenage girls.

I'm just sure. How can you hate your legs? They're legs. If you're lucky, they let you walk and run and maybe even skip. I think you should be thrilled if your legs work. They're just doing their job, it's not their fault you ate too many cookies and they got jiggly. Besides, what's so wrong with a little jiggle anyway?

So anyway, my new experiment is this: I cut out all white food. That means no dairy, no refined foods, no bread or rice, etc. I'm eating lots of veggies and meat and beans and lentils and a few nuts. I will eat those white northern beans, but their more of a "blush" I think.

Even though cheddar cheese is orange, I'm thinking it came from white milk, so I gave it the boot. That's been a sad thing, I must admit. It's still in the fridge looking at me hopefully when I'm scrounging for spinach, but I ignore it. Cheese hates to be ignored, I think. It's so used to be adored.

I cut out the wine for a few days too, but that was short lived. I figure if I can't have anything sweet, I'm at least going to have a bit of Merlot.

I've done this kind of thing before and had good results with steady weight loss if I stick to it. Sometimes I just need a little gimmick to get myself off all the crap.

It's been a week, and it's working well. I'm not as hungry (blood sugar levels are probably more even) not so crabby, I've lost some pounds, and my skin is getting kind of glow-y again.

But it's getting boring already. Broccoli Wokly is fine for the first few days, but...hello? How many ways can you really make it taste good without dipping it into a lovely little fondue pot filled with cheese sauce? [The cheese told me to say that.]

Plus, I have to remind myself that even though brownies aren't white, they have white things in them (sugar, flour) and I'm only kidding myself if I try to kid myself into eating brownies. I'm actually smarter than brownies when I choose to be.

We'll just see how long I can last with this clever trick. It's nice to have contests with myself every once in a while, to keep myself competitive in the food ring.

5 comments:

Little Things said...

So you start this new eating plan RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS??? OMG, I'd just die. I'd list all the foods you're going to miss, but most of them are chock full of white stuff.

That said, I'll be hitting the South Beach diet come the new year. Sigh.

juliejulie said...

Ah, well, here's the thing you're right about "before" Christmas. I'm just saving up so that "during" Christmas I can eat all the colors.

Elise Michaels Media said...

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to Jen's post today!

Karina said...

of course i went straight to Jen's Post and saw all the cookies made with white stuff.
so joe, skinny joe now after that amazing surgery thing that i'm not fat enough to have (yet?) has been on this cookie wreath thing. he went out and bought a huge couple of bags of marshmellows (the demi-demon of whiteness) and melted them into one of my good pots, colored them with green food coloring, poured in some corn flakes and dropped them onto a silpat sheet and thus formed into wreaths with little red hots for holly. they are wicked and he is wicked for making them.
i wish i had a person i could make a pact with about dieting/avoiding white foods/ whatever. being around my skinny family may just do me in. any suggestions on just how to get motivated?!
blah blah blah humbug.

is dark chocolate bad?
please say no.

juliejulie said...

For the record, dear readers, two days before Christmas I went straight to chocolate after my 10 days of non-white food. I think dark chocolate is marvelous, for the record.