My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, please visit:

http://www.chubbymommyrunningclub.com/

and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

New Job Dance


A miracle has happened, once again.
I got a new job!
Starting on January 2nd, I'll be the new Marketing Communications Manager at Ruff Wear
(http://www.ruffwear.com/) a local company that makes fabulous gear for cool "Dogs on the Go!"

My dog's so excited, she can barely stand it. She's just taking a nap in this picture, after I told her, since the excitement of the whole thing wore her out.

I'm always super excited to get a new job. Whenever I get one, I sing a special "New Job" song and do a special "New Job" dance for my family. It's a tradition for us.

It goes like this, in a sing-songy way: "I got a new job (left leg kick), a new job (right leg kick), a new job (left arm down, John Travolta style) a new job (right arm down) a new job..." Repeat, seven times, etc. I think you get the idea.

I've been working as a consultant for a while, taking lots of short-term contracts, so my family's all seen many a "New Job" song and dance. There is usually lots of groaning and eye rolling about the dance, on their part.
They have to do this, to make it clear that if I even consider singing and dancing in public, around their friends specifically, I will be banished from bus stops, classroom volunteerism, and from being with them outside of the house in general.

From the kid's perspectives, they never know when their mom might just do a cartwheel in the park, and heaven forbid they are there when I do (I perfer an audience for that kind of thing), or worse, one of their 3rd grade, 5th grade, or 8th grade friends are close enough to witness it.

My dog however, loves the "New Job" song and dance. She prances around with me, wags her tail, and sometimes barks in that happy, smily-bark way.

If my husband's in the room when I start dancing, though, she often just stands in one spot on alert and watches me carefully. I think that comes from her fear that the daddy-man might start dancing too, which happens more often than not.
Man-dancing freaks her out, and she doesn't know what do do with that alpha-male dance thing. I'm not sure her pack animal instinct has a clear understanding of dancing alpha-male protocol.

So anyway, have no fear, I will continue to blog as Chubby Mommy, and will probably be talked into taking my dog on runs by my co-workers. I think they all have easy, low maintenance labs and retrievers who love rain and snow and adventures.
I have a feeling their dogs aren't nearly as nervous as mine, and their dogs probably don't poop 7 times on a 3 mile run. But I haven't asked them yet, since I just met them, and that seems like a personal question.

I also might start some dog blogs, because I think my dog would like to tell her side of the story, too. I think all dogs must. The cats get all the attention with those funny cat photos at "I can has cheezeburger" http://icanhascheezburger.com/ type websites, which are hilarious, sometimes.

The dogs are so regular, so un-alien like, so happy to be part of the family, not as whiny and complainy as the cats. I'm sure the cats must wear them out. And dogs that have to live with cats? It can't be easy. Getting yelled at for the tiniest growl towards the irritating feline that swipes your nose with a sharp claw when you're calmly walking around a corner?
The indignaty.

It's time the dogs got their 15 minutes of fame, I think.

More later,

Ruff Ruff!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Congrats! Methinks we need to celebrate. You know, at that place that serves martini's!

Your new pic is GREAT, btw. :-)

Anonymous said...

Julie, congratulations! As always, I am so proud of you and I know that you will do great at your new job. I'm looking forward to the dog blog also; I probably have lots of material to submit on dogs ... childhood dogs Bambi and Malcolm alone could be their very own books. I like your new picture too ... though I couldn't figure out who you look like in it at first (I mean besides you). Then it hit me, you remind me of Beth on Dog in that picture, minus the chest. (Believe me, it's just as well.) ;>) .... Kathy

Elise Michaels Media said...

I'm doing the dance with you - in my mind anyway (don't want to freak out the fam). Congratulations, Julie, you will have a great time! Ruff ruff!

juliejulie said...

Dear Anonymous Kathy, thank you, I think, for the super nice compliment about looking like Beth on Dog. But I'm not sure who that is. Is there a show called Dog? If so, I will need to watch it for my new job!