I haven't watched Jeopardy in a while, but I am a list maker, and a list giver. My kids are used to lists. Alex Trebek would not phase them.
The other night, as I was frantically working through my list before bed on my computer at the dining room table, the children complained - OK, whined - about needing some attention (they're old enough to just say, hey, give me some attention!)
The 16 year old said I needed to put "hang out with children" on my list. So I did.
I sat on the couch with them and we played that game where I tell them all the things they're good at, and all the things I like about them. It's a favorite game of theirs. Who wouldn't love this game?
Then I wanted a turn, so this is their list of things I'm good at:
Things Mom is good at:
- You're good at giving hugs - you're warm.
- Domesticated animals love you.
- You're good at making clubs, like your Try Not Cry Club on Chubby Mommy Running Club.
- You're good at listening.
- You're good at teaching us good habits (Huh. Time to teach dish-doing and floor mopping?)
- You're good at creative ideas and making things grow, like how you made up movies and stuff for Francine.
- You're a good wife because you're mature enough to handle Dad and his jobs and negotiating things for his work.
- You're good at telling Dad what to do and trading things for kisses.
- You're good at bringing peace to the family.
I'm also good a raising nice kids, apparently, because these are the nicest things I've ever heard.
What's on your list?